Skip to main content

Ode to My Mailman

            My mailman retired today, his last day of work delivering and sorting mail at the Inwood branch of the Post Office in upper Manhattan, a small squat non-descript brown brick building on Vermilyea Avenue with its own bureaucratic idiosyncrasies on the inside.
Pepe endured us all for 32 years, delivering mail into our small mailboxes with alarming regularity. Mail was tucked into our boxes with a little tap. Every envelope, postcard and catalog would be handed to us one by one or placed on top of the radiator in a pile and given out with a flourish while we waited. He wore his black hair in a small ponytail, climbing the steps to the building with his mail cart and the three steps to the mailboxes on the left and right sides of the elevator. He left packages with the super and, when thieves searching for credit cards and checks broke into building mailboxes, he was the one who suggested using a post office box.
 He knew all of the old ladies by name, the helpful Mrs. Ullman, Mrs. Bernstein whose apartment I came to occupy after she died, cranky Mrs. Ward and elegant Mrs. Sinsheimer and her twin sister, and as I write this, they all come back to me again. They were old when I moved into the building and we would meet by the mailboxes while they waited for Social Security checks and packages of polyester pants and stockings ordered from catalogs. They are gone now, replaced by direct deposit and neighbors who sing opera or teach, and who receive Netflix and packages from eBay and Etsy.
Pepe brought me bits and pieces of my past, some of which I still have. He delivered letters from my grandmother, Anna David of Webb and Astor Avenues, who sent cards on every holiday, and who mailed news from her latest trip, written in her unmistakable swirly handwriting, with postmarks from Florida, resorts in the Catskills, and her home in the Bronx. I came across a letter of hers just the other day, written on small stationery and asking me, pleading, would I take some time out and visit her?
My father once mailed me a large box, filled with birthday gifts--a hideous brown striped acrylic sweater, a camera bag and a fish pin that he made out of laser paper. I still have the camera bag and the fish pin sent all the way from San Francisco, not long before he died. My great-aunt, Auntie Esther, mailed me her recipe for Greek bagel cookies from her apartment on University Avenue in the Bronx, and her sister, my great-aunt, Mollie, mailed me sweaters she had knitted from patterns and yarn I mailed to her home in Deep River, Connecticut. My grandparents, Sophie and Marty, who lived in Coney Island, sent me a birthday check every year they remembered, no card, just a check. I saved the envelopes to remember them by. Old friends sent me birthday cards and Christmas cards in the days, not that long ago, before cell phones and the Internet. Sometimes they would bend and get stuck in the mailbox.
I was starting make my way as a writer and struggled to make a living or, as my boyfriend, George, says, to make a name for myself, whatever name that would be. When I traveled to interview and photograph prizefighters in different states, or to Africa and the Dominican Republic, to San Francisco to visit my parents, to Amsterdam on vacation, to Ohio to visit friends, I let Pepe know my whereabouts so mail wouldn’t pile up. My life must have seemed quite adventurous.
Working the phones and editors for writing assignments, I sat writing at the long wooden table in my living room, telephone next to me, television turned on, an old Apple computer fired up. Propped up by bottles of Diet Coke and cellophane packages of Devil Dogs, I wrote into the night. The bell would ring from downstairs around noon, and I would leave the computer or telephone behind in anticipation of the day's mail.
“On my way!”
Pepe delivered bills and catalogs, letters from my editors and publishers, contracts, checks, credit cards, and letters from editors and perspective employers telling me, thanks but no thanks, W-2 forms, magazine subscriptions, postcards from friends traveling around the world or just saying hello. When the IRS started sending me letters, I didn’t want to open the mailbox. An official looking letter insisted that I owe them $8,000 and penalties would be charged. How could this be? My total income that year couldn’t have been more than $30,000. My accountant found their error and each time they sent a letter, the amount had fallen. After almost nine months of wrangling, it turned out that he was right and the IRS wound up owing me money. Then I looked forward to my mail again.
When Pepe was on vacation, mail would be delivered much later in the day and often, my neighbor’s mail was mixed in with mine and they found mine with theirs. I once praised Pepe by filling out a compliment card at the post office; I think it may have gone all the way to headquarters in Washington. Just a small token of appreciation. Several weeks later, I met him in the lobby of my building; I had forgotten all about the card.
He was beaming.
“Thank you for the compliment,” he said.
I was embarrassed.
“Oh, well, you know. . .thank you,” I sputtered. “Did they give you anything, like a watch or a certificate?”
“Well,” he said, a bit sheepishly, “they gave me a t-shirt."
When I began working a regular schedule at a regular job, or what amounts to regular these days, I spent less and less time at home and more time at the office and on the subway. I’d run into Pepe on Saturdays or on my days off. He began working inside the post office but it wasn’t the same as being out on the street, just as it wasn’t the same for me anymore when I worked outside of my home.
Last week, he pinned a card to the bulletin board of my building announcing his retirement on February third and thanking us.  “To all my friends,” the card said. “Just dropping a note to thank you for the wonderful time we spent together one way or another. Thanks for being like family to me, I will never forget you.” Inside was a photograph of Pepe in his pale blue postal uniform, much younger and slimmer, with dark hair and a black mustache.
In my barely legible handwriting, I wrote on one of my note cards printed with my name, address and a scene of buildings. “Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! for all of the years of wonderful service. This is the end of an era. . . .”  I paired it with a large bag of chocolates and trekked down 204th Street to the post office this morning. At 8:30 am, Pepe came out of the back room where he had been sorting mail for delivery, for the last time.
“32 years,” he said. “I’ll spend the time with my wife and daughter, take my daughter back to school in Florida and the relatives are waiting for us to come visit them in Puerto Rico.
“It was time,” Pepe said, giving me a hug. “I’ll miss the people here.”
“It won’t be the same. I had to say goodbye and say thank you. I saw the card with your photograph,” I added. “You were younger and thinner then."
 So was I.


valerie said…
Just lovely Arlene. I actually met Pepe for the first time about a week ago when I saw him walking on Seaman and asked a random question that spared me a trip to the squat brown brick building. So nice of you to pay this special tribute.
Admiral Hestorb said…
Arlene, how delightful. I loved reading your appreciation for Pepe. And how you expressed that I might add. I do the same for favorite employees through the years.

This is Bruce's mom by the way.

And I might add that I spent quite a few weeks of my childhood summers in Deep River. My aunt Donna and Uncle Jimmy lived there then.

(saw you on I came here)
From his wife Raquel Lopez-Madero and family,
Arlene thank you so much
for the tribute of Pepe life as a mailman he was also the grates father, husband, brother and friend, i will never find another human been like him in this life or the next. I will love him until the end of my days.
Pepe past on to be with our creator on 3/2/15 but his legacy still live on Love and friendship.

Popular posts from this blog

My Year (or so) with the New York Yankees

...At the old Yankee Stadium, the press box rose high up above home plate and over to the left side and consisted of a few rows of countertops, outlets and chairs, with broadcast booths, and a smaller press box where I sat with the men of the Black and Hispanic press and TV and radio reporters. The Yankees official box sat off to the left, and Eddie Layton’s Hammond organ called outCharge!from the far right. This was the generation of technology that followed the electric typewriter and before cell phones, email, texting and the Internet. The state-of-the-art computer at the time was a heavy black Radio Shack laptop with a tiny screen of four or five lines. One older sportswriter still used a typewriter, and the clickety-clack of the keys made me think of the movie,The Front Page.

Most of the older men—and almost everyone was older then me—wore plaid short-sleeved shirts under tweed sport jackets, even during the warmer weather. They reminded me of Oscar Madison. At least these men had…

NYPL: Bridging Our Stories - Detective Thomas Troppmann of the NYPD's 34th Precinct

Meet Detective Specialist Thomas Troppmann of the 34th Precinct, which covers Washington Heights and Inwood.

Detective Troppmann has spent his entire 30- year career on patrol in uptown Manhattan, a  rarity for one officer to remain on patrol for that long AND in the same precinct. He was a rookie police officer the same year his new partner, Detective Specialist Edwin Rodriguez, was born. These two have partnered up for the NYPD's newest community based policing program, Neighborhood Coordination Officers, a more high tech and targeted brand of beat cop.

In this wide-ranging conversation, Detective Troppmann talks about  the changes he's witnessed in "MY neighborhood", how he feels about body cams, changes in technology since he came on the job,  his relationship with his partner Rodriguez, being mistaken for Police Commissioner James O'Neill, corruption, getting older, and how the jocular relationship of the locker room evaporated into a silent, sad stillness fol…

Steve Bonano of the NYPD: 1961 to 2015

Sometimes people bond over the smallest things.
     Sitting behind his captain’s desk covered with files, complaint reports, and official NYPD notifications along with my Timberland boots perched at the edge, Steve Bonano and I discovered that we had the same sophisticated culinary palate. It was uncanny. We both dined at the same establishment but at different branches and knew the menu as intimately as the chef. We ate there more than we cared to admit, which likely accounted for his slightly chubby physique and as I call myself, svelte with a twist.
     “I always order at Taco Bell”  my sentence began and Steve chimed in at the same time. “Combo number three!”
     We both laughed and exclaimed, “Three tacos and a soda!”
      Each time we saw each other we called out “Combo number three!” I can still hear his laugh.
     Many people knew him better than I did. My time was spent sitting in his office chatting about life on the job. During my two years embedded in the 23rd P…